Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I don't know where to begin.

Today will have been a month since Staalsy passed away.

When I got home on the 28th, two of my friends tried to beat me to the house so that I wouldn't be alone. Try as they might, I ended up getting here first. I walked in the door, put down the other cat I'd brought with me and burst into tears. He didn't come down the stairs and I had so badly thought that he would. I expected him to be in PA, waiting for me to get back from VA. He wasn't though.

About 3 minutes later, my roommate came home. We cried. We just kept saying we couldn't believe it. We couldn't fathom that this amazing little cat was actually gone. Assholes are supposed to live forever so why did Staalsy have to go so soon?

When two of our other friends arrived, we had a little memorial for Staalsy. I brought back the laptop that he killed at the end of March with me and made it into a memorial for him. We talked about things he did. We talked about how much he hated various things. We toasted to him with CranApple juice-which is what he spilled on the laptop causing it to fry.

It has taken me a month to sit here and be able to type this.

I had fallen behind on updating once I moved and I apologize for that. I'd opened blogger and started entries, fully meaning to write. I'd always end up sidetracked by something or someone (someone orange and usually cranky).

I owned Staalsy for 355 days. Let me correct that-Staalsy owned me for 355 days. In that time I learned so much from such a little cat. I didn't think I could ever care so much for another cat the way I cared for him. I'm not saying that I don't love my other cats, because I do. Staalsy was just this...special little guy.

I will never know exactly what caused him to get so sick or if there is anything else I could've ever done for him. I took him to three different vets, tried taking him to a fourth as well but I won't go down that road. I won't waste as much time dwelling on it because it won't bring him back, no matter how much I'd like.

I do know this-for 355 days, I had the most loyal, loving and biggest jerk of a cat. I will forever miss him and I know he will never fully leave me. He comes to me in my dreams and I swear he wakes me up in the same way he always did-smacking my side until I said 'Quit it, Asshole'.

For now, Staalsy is in Virginia until my parents can bring him home to me. He hated to be away from me when he was alive and I could never make him be away from me even in passing.

Rest in peace my sweet prince. We miss you.

1 comment: